Awaken the Learner Workshop
Awaken learners in your classroom. This workshop is the result of a unique collaboration between Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, who was killed in the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, and Dr. Robert J. Marzano, an educational researcher with 40 years of experience.
Mr. Scott, Dr. Marzano, and associates from Marzano Research and Rachel’s Challenge—a nonprofit founded by Mr. Scott dedicated to helping make schools safer, more connected places—present two perspectives on how to awaken students in the classroom. Mr. Scott’s perspective reviews the history and philosophy behind a system of education that reaches students’ hearts, not just their heads. Dr. Marzano’s perspective outlines research-based strategies that teachers can use to both instruct and awaken learners, presenting a model of student motivation that illuminates various ways students think, why they make certain decisions, and how they can be inspired in the classroom.Request workshop
- Learn the history and philosophy behind a unique approach to reaching students’ hearts.
- Discover ways to create a culture and climate in your classroom that will awaken students to new possibilities.
- Explore a model of behavior, decision making, and engagement that illuminates student motivation and actions in the classroom.
- Consider strategies for effectively and efficiently instructing learners.
- Reflect on your own teaching practices and the extent to which they instill purpose and inspiration in students.
School leaders, teachers
One or two days