Vocabulary for the New Science Standards Workshop
Boost your science and engineering instruction. This workshop guides your school or district through the process of creating and implementing a comprehensive vocabulary program for terms taken directly from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
Expand the depth and breadth of students’ science vocabularies. Foster a deeper understanding of cognitive verbs, crosscutting science concepts, and core ideas in specific science topics. Discover how to interpret the NGSS, and learn to glean the most essential terms to teach at each grade level and in each area of science. This workshop uses a practical six-step process for teaching the terms, as well as clear descriptions and concrete examples from the standards, to present a path toward transforming vocabulary instruction across a school or district.Request workshop
- Discover how vocabulary instruction can enhance students’ understanding of science concepts.
- Acquire a six-step process for effective vocabulary instruction.
- Plan for teaching each of the six steps using descriptions and examples from the NGSS.
- Learn to develop systems for assessing and tracking student vocabulary knowledge.
- Take home a wealth of practical resources, including a process for creating a customized set of academic and content-area vocabulary terms to use in your classroom, school, or district.
District leaders, school leaders, teachers
One or two days