Close Reading in the Secondary Classroom
Close reading is an essential skill for students to master as preparation for success in college and in life. It is a skill that is challenging to develop in students, requiring careful planning and execution throughout the secondary years to ensure learners become fully proficient. In this workshop, participants will explore a six-step process for close reading, as well as important issues around text selection, planning, and assessment.Request information
- Develop an understanding of what close reading is and its importance in the curriculum.
- Explore a six-step process of close reading.
- Gain an understanding of the process for developing close reading skills in students across content areas.
- Understand the concerns in choosing the right text for close reading.
- Learn practical activities for instruction of each of the six steps in the close reading process.
- Learn ways to plan, instruct, and assess the skill of close reading.
All educators in all content areas at the secondary level.
- One-day introduction of all session outcomes.