Transitioning to a Personalized Competency-Based System
Thinking about transitioning to a personalized competency-based system and wondering where to begin? Transitioning from a traditional, time-based system to a competency-based model that emphasizes student-centered, personalized learning is a complex endeavor. Our coaches can help you examine issues related to policy, curriculum, instruction, assessment, scheduling, and more that can impact your transition. We’ll help you identify the key operational issues schools need to address and examine how districts can support these changes.
Participants will learn how to design a plan for piloting competency-based education in schools and how to scale across a set of schools or an entire district. Participants will discover ways to support schools in creating unique models while maintaining coherence at the district level, and explore the types of professional development principals and teachers will need and how to provide it.
This professional development is designed as a consultative workshop for teams with background knowledge of personalized competency-based systems who are ready to develop new design and implementation plans and timelines.Request information
- Examine key design questions and their implications for your local context.
- Create a design for implementing personalized competency-based education in your school that addresses issues related to content, learning environment, instruction, assessment and measurement, scheduling, and reporting.
- Develop an action plan for implementing personalized competency-based education in your school or district.
- Consider and discuss options for transitioning within and across schools.
- Learn about a set of recommended steps for ramping up over two years before rolling out across a set of schools or an entire district.
District leaders, school leaders, teachers, instructional coaches, design teams
One or two days; targeted webinars focused on specific grade levels