Getting Started on Personalized Competency-Based Systems
Centennial, Colorado | April 19, 2018
Join us for a one-day workshop outlining the basics of personalized learning within a competency-based system.
Understand the key differences between time-based and performance-based systems of learning, and discover the benefits of allowing students to move through levels of content at their appropriate pace. Learn practical strategies for addressing the following key design questions:
- What content will be addressed within the system?
- How will the learning environment support student agency?
- How will instruction support student learning?
- How will student proficiency be measured?
- How will scheduling accommodate student learning?
- How will reporting facilitate student learning?
- How do we transition to a personalized, competency-based system?
Learn the basics of personalized competency-based education and explore examples of schools and classrooms that have implemented these types of systems.
Product Code: WSL107
Douglas Finn III is a professional development associate for the Reinventing Schools Division of Marzano Research. He helps mentor students and educators working with this model.
Presenters are subject to change.
Marzano Research Training Center
12577 E. Caley Ave.
Centennial, CO 80111
In order to receive the discounted hotel room rate, please mention Marzano Research. Events reach capacity quickly. Please confirm your registration before making travel plans.
Hyatt House Denver Tech Center
9280 E. Costilla Ave.
Englewood, CO 80112
Discounted Rate: $159 per night (single)
$179 per night (double)
Please note: Hotel web links are only available 12 months prior to workshop dates. If assistance is needed in booking this far in advance, please contact the hotels directly.
Contact Hyatt House Denver Tech Center at 303.706.1945 if:
- You need assistance booking your reservation. (Press 3)
- You or your group has a special form of payment. (Press 2)
- You or your group has a tax-exempt form or you would like to speak with the front desk host regarding an existing reservation. (Press 0)
Primary Hotel: Hotel parking is complimentary.
Provided between the Hyatt House Denver Tech Center and Marzano Research Training Center.
Shuttle times: Pick-up at Hyatt: 8:00 a.m., Pick-up at MR: 3:30 p.m.
Cancellations and Substitutions
All cancellations and substitutions must be in submitted in writing via fax (812.336.7790) or email email@example.com
- Cancellations more than 90 days prior to the event require a $75 processing fee per person.
- Cancellations between 10 and 90 days prior to the event require half the registration fee.
- Cancellations less than 10 days prior to the event will receive no refund.
Included with your registration:
|8:30–9:45 a.m.||Welcome/Introduction to Personalized Competency-Based System|
Understand the importance of using proficiency scales to create a solid foundation for curriculum, instruction, and assessment in academic content, cognitive skills, and metacognitive skills
|10:00–11:30 a.m.||Developing student agency in the school and classroom|
|11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.||LUNCH (on site, included in registration fee)|
|12:30–2:00 p.m.||Understand the key differences with instruction and measurement in a traditional system compared to a personalized competency-based system Approaches for scheduling students and reporting on proficiency in a personalized competency-based system|
|2:15–3:30 p.m.||Creating an effective transition plan to implement a personalized competency-based system|