Personalized Competency-Based Education
The Reinventing Schools approach connects key features of personalized learning with the technical requirements necessary to fully implement a competency-based system. We refer to the approach as personalized competency-based education (PCBE), and it has the following characteristics:
- Students move on to the next level within a subject area only after they have demonstrated proficiency at the current level.
- The time required to learn content is not a factor in judging students’ competencies.
- Students have multiple opportunities and ways to learn specific content.
- Students have multiple opportunities and ways to demonstrate proficiency with specific content.
- Development of student agency is a central focus in addition to proficiency with academic content.
- Students have choice in the teaching and learning process.
- Students have voice in the teaching and learning process.
- What content will be addressed within the system?
- How will the learning environment support student agency?
- How will instruction support student learning?
- How will student proficiency be measured?
- How will scheduling accommodate student learning?
- How will reporting facilitate student learning?
- How do we transition to a PCBE system?